The Giving Tree

God has provided in so many ways! This tracks God's faithfulness in financing this journey. Thank you for giving to Grow God's Kingdom. simple fundraisers
Free thermometers
to track your
green fundraisers I am looking for 31 monthly sponsors to fund one day each month ($20.00 per month) and pray on that day each month. On that day I will be praying for you as God continues to work in the US through you and the calling He has on your life. This tracks the number of committed monthly sponsors. simple fundraisers
Free thermometers
to track your
green fundraisers
FUND A MINUTE, HOUR, OR DAY





I did the math and this is cool: Below I have included a chart with how much it will cost for me to carry the GOSPEL to Kenya: Every minute counts and so does every penny, and when you think in terms of lives hearing and understanding the Gospel of Christ… we can’t afford not to give!



Expenses



Yearly

$ 6,000.00



Monthly

$ 500.00



Daily

$ 16.44



Hourly

$ 0.68



Minute

$ 0.01



Even a penny could change a life for all eternity.



Proverbs 11:25 “He who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.”







Followers



Support the Adventure

Please consider supporting my African Adventure! All donations are potentially tax deductible through the International Sports Federation (a 501c3 organization). You can either pay electronically through paypal, or you can SEND A CHECK to International Sports Federation, PO BOX 2788, Acworth, GA 30102. Make sure to put "Amanda Walton" on the memo line for general donations, or put specifically what the money is to be used for specific donations. (for example, "car maintenance" "food for orphanage" "most urgent need" etc)

Become a Day Sponsor

I am looking for 31 people who would be willing to become a day sponsor. This sponsorship is $20 per month. For a one time donation, click the button above, but for a monthly donation of $20, then click the "subscribe" button below.


Monthly Donors

Please choose an amount that you want contribute each month to support Amanda in Kenya.
DONATION OPTIONS

Join the Prayer Team

Sunday, July 18, 2010

One Month In ... Intentional Observation


Well it’s official!!! My first month in Kenya is behind me. If I didn’t know better I would have thought that the first 5 days were equal to the next 25 combined. I would love to say the transition was a piece of cake but that would be a complete lie. I was well prepared, solid in God’s Word, equipped with confirmation after confirmation from God. I had done the research on culture and language. I had been to Tumaini before and for the most part knew what to expect. So as I struggled through the first few days I asked God for more peace, a greater understanding, and a renewed purpose. Of course he provided in His own way and right on time. I just had to wade through all the “stuff” to find it. I came to the conclusion very quickly that no matter how much you are prepared mentally and spiritually, moving into another culture and learning to function takes TIME!!!! So here I sit one month later with many experiences behind and much more to learn. I’ve seen things over the past month that broke my heart into a million pieces; things I wish didn’t exist in this world. I’ve also seen things that made my heart smile and brought about utter joy in my soul. I’ve heard sounds so unfamiliar that it makes my head turn in wonder. I’ve also heard familiar sounds of crickets singing me to sleep at night and children laughing. I’ve wondered why this or why that, and I’ve learned that life is life no matter where you live it. The important thing is not where you are but instead where you are with the Lord. I read an encouraging scripture this morning and I pray it encourages you wherever you may be: For the eyes of the Lord range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to Him. ~ 2 Chronicles 16:9a

So now with the Lords strength I would like to share with you more about the reason He’s brought me halfway around the world to serve Him among the least of these. (Warning: this is a long one and includes some processing thoughts so feel free to read as you have time) (The next post will be prayer requests in bullet format )

When I arrived at Tumaini I knew I would be working with the children, teaching English (which cracks me up, b/c I have a biology degree) and PE. I also knew I would be working specifically with the kids at the orphanage to eventually develop an after school program for the children… including a systematic way to complete their chores, study, and of course play. During the first 6 months of this journey I planned to actively observe the system already in place. I’ve been encouraged so far as to what I am seeing here. Rose is a visionary and so many wonderful things are already in place. At the Children’s Home the children seem to go about their business with intent. They know what to do and as a team they usually do it. After school they line up for a bath and then they beginning helping to prepare dinner. It always seems to be a group effort and I love coming alongside of them in sorting maize and beans or cutting sukumawiki. They are also the very ones who taught me to wash my clothes. It’s been a pleasant surprise to see how well they function and how happy they seem to be. At this discovery I began to wonder why God brought me here at all. I didn’t wonder for long. On day 2 Rose said she had a BIG job for me. She didn’t want to scare me (these were her words) but she wanted me to do some administrative work for her. She wanted me to meet with a man (Ishmeal) who does monthly site visits to schools to make sure the teachers are covering the curriculum (in Kenya a syllabus) in a timely manner. Then she wanted me to take over his duties and make sure the teachers are arriving on time and that the students receive maximum instruction time. My first thought was, I don’t know anything about Kenya’s requirements, curriculum, teacher expectations, etc. My second thought was, what will the teachers think and my final thought was I don’t want to do this… this should be done by a Kenyan. After my first meeting with Ishmeal and Tumaini’s head teacher I felt relieved. I found that a really good system was already in place but the polices were not being enforced. So, they just need someone to help them enforce it. So long story short, I will be the one to help them enforce the policies and procedures that are already in place. I am still a bit apprehensive about this. I am a firm believer that the missionary’s role is to come along side and serve as a support role, but at this time those who should be enforcing are not, so my hope is to encourage the teachers to respect the policies and those enforcing them. I had a meeting with all the teachers Friday and encouraged them to abide by all the policies and procedures. I spent several days preparing and it was amazing how God provided just the right words…. And guess what…. All I shared with them came from Scripture. We talked about how God views children (Mark 10:13-16), giving back to the children the gifts God has given to us (2 Corn. 8:7-12), discipline (both for the children and for ourselves) (Hebrews 12), and that God wants us to have a good plan (Proverbs 14:22). For the most part the encouragement was well received, but as always I sensed some opposition. I think this is why the head teacher was so discouraged for so many months, and the reason he found it difficult to enforce the policies. He is such a kind and gentle man. It’s my prayer that the teachers will come to see that the policies are for the good of the children and for their own good. I do not foresee a problem in me enforcing these policies… my heart is for the children and they deserve the best. I will not hesitate to report those who go against Tumaini’s policies. But I will not be here forever and I cannot, and will not be the only one to enforce. My challenge now is to teach the administration to enforce the policies themselves… for the love of the children and out of respect for the profession of teaching. At the end of the meeting I shared with the teachers how I intend to help them along the way…. With listening to their issues, equipping them with new teaching techniques and resources, establishing incentives, and most importantly praying with them and for them. The single best thing that came from my time of preparation for the meeting was the idea the Lord laid on my heart to encourage the teachers to be on time. Each morning we will meet at the flag pole and pray… for each other, for the day, and for the children. What God-fearing teacher would dare to be late, not to school, but to meet with the Lord. I pray it works and ask for you to pray as well! Other than that my purpose here is to grow in my own relationship with the Lord as he continues to stretch me, and invest in the relationships the Lord is growing among those at Tumaini. Oh, I almost forgot... watched my 1st Kenyan Sunset from a mountain nearby.. Sophia went with me (check out this view)

Blessings!

Amanda

2 comments:

Shelly said...

Oh Amanda, I so needed to see this and read this tonight. The encouragement I have derived from your words, it is huge. I am laying here, facing tomorrow, this week, the future, mired in uncertainty and in fear. Thank you, thank you for your words here. Know that I love you very much and am praying for you. The picture of you and Sophia, priceless. I am so proud of you my friend.

Unknown said...

this picture is perfect... "let's live a miraculous adventure!"

Post a Comment