The Giving Tree

God has provided in so many ways! This tracks God's faithfulness in financing this journey. Thank you for giving to Grow God's Kingdom. simple fundraisers
Free thermometers
to track your
green fundraisers I am looking for 31 monthly sponsors to fund one day each month ($20.00 per month) and pray on that day each month. On that day I will be praying for you as God continues to work in the US through you and the calling He has on your life. This tracks the number of committed monthly sponsors. simple fundraisers
Free thermometers
to track your
green fundraisers
FUND A MINUTE, HOUR, OR DAY





I did the math and this is cool: Below I have included a chart with how much it will cost for me to carry the GOSPEL to Kenya: Every minute counts and so does every penny, and when you think in terms of lives hearing and understanding the Gospel of Christ… we can’t afford not to give!



Expenses



Yearly

$ 6,000.00



Monthly

$ 500.00



Daily

$ 16.44



Hourly

$ 0.68



Minute

$ 0.01



Even a penny could change a life for all eternity.



Proverbs 11:25 “He who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.”







Followers



Support the Adventure

Please consider supporting my African Adventure! All donations are potentially tax deductible through the International Sports Federation (a 501c3 organization). You can either pay electronically through paypal, or you can SEND A CHECK to International Sports Federation, PO BOX 2788, Acworth, GA 30102. Make sure to put "Amanda Walton" on the memo line for general donations, or put specifically what the money is to be used for specific donations. (for example, "car maintenance" "food for orphanage" "most urgent need" etc)

Become a Day Sponsor

I am looking for 31 people who would be willing to become a day sponsor. This sponsorship is $20 per month. For a one time donation, click the button above, but for a monthly donation of $20, then click the "subscribe" button below.


Monthly Donors

Please choose an amount that you want contribute each month to support Amanda in Kenya.
DONATION OPTIONS

Join the Prayer Team

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Learning to be a teacher among teachers


Learning to be a teacher among teachers…

Coming to a place that is not your home, taking up residence, learning all the do’s and don’ts, and trying to fade into the faces is not easy. Many days I wake up and ask God to tell me again why he drew me to this place. It’s not long before the answer is staring me in the face once again. Every morning I walk the 100 yards to the school to see 10 teachers and 220 beautiful children ready to face their day, and I am reminded once again of the task at hand. When I first arrived I thought I would be doing some teaching, preaching, and working on a sponsorship program for the kids. I do get to do these things, but a task I was not prepared for was working alongside of the head teacher (principal) to assist him with helping the teachers be more prompt and prepared. This means I am basically a temporary assistant principal. Now, I do have a fairly good command of organizational and time management skills, and I understand the in’s and out’s of classroom structure and management, but I was in NO WAY prepared for this role, especially not cross-culturally. After talking with Rose, she trusts that I am the woman for the job and looking back at it now , she may be right. Everyday is a challenge to balance what I know to be true and what I know to be culturally sensitive to. For example, time in Africa is not the same as time in the US, so how do you implement a program that requires the teachers to be on time, when they don’t have the same understanding of time as you do… it’s a mystery! The task is always challenging but what I love about it is that in order for both parties to be on the same page, you have to spend time building a trusting relationship. That’s what I’ve been able to do over the last couple of months. It’s difficult but equally rewarding. You may be asking, where does this fit in to your calling to Africa? I asked myself the same thing, I’m not a principal, I’m a missionary. Then I realized, being a missionary involves the relationships God develops while working with the teachers and kids. I am excited to see where this task of helping the teachers leads in the grand scheme of His kingdom. Pray that my heart is refreshed by this thought each morning.

A major encouragement regarding this issue came about when the team visited and among them were seasoned educators. During their stay I arranged for 4 teachers from the US to teach a class with both the Kenyan teachers and students in attendance. The purpose was to demonstrate different teaching techniques using only the resources available to them in Kenya. I think this was a challenge for the American teachers and eye opening for the Kenyan teachers. A few days later I arranged a teachers in-service where the American teachers and SaraBeth’s dad, a former Superintendent, encouraged the Kenyan teachers and talked with them about new ideas, teaching techniques, classroom management skills, etc. Then we had a Q and A time for the teachers. It was such a blessing and again I think both parties benefited. Praise God for working this out and I pray the teachers will be able to implement some of these new ideas this coming term.

Please continue to pray for the children, teachers, and staff at Tumaini as they work hard to raise up future leaders for the glory of God!

0 comments:

Post a Comment