The Giving Tree

God has provided in so many ways! This tracks God's faithfulness in financing this journey. Thank you for giving to Grow God's Kingdom. simple fundraisers
Free thermometers
to track your
green fundraisers I am looking for 31 monthly sponsors to fund one day each month ($20.00 per month) and pray on that day each month. On that day I will be praying for you as God continues to work in the US through you and the calling He has on your life. This tracks the number of committed monthly sponsors. simple fundraisers
Free thermometers
to track your
green fundraisers
FUND A MINUTE, HOUR, OR DAY





I did the math and this is cool: Below I have included a chart with how much it will cost for me to carry the GOSPEL to Kenya: Every minute counts and so does every penny, and when you think in terms of lives hearing and understanding the Gospel of Christ… we can’t afford not to give!



Expenses



Yearly

$ 6,000.00



Monthly

$ 500.00



Daily

$ 16.44



Hourly

$ 0.68



Minute

$ 0.01



Even a penny could change a life for all eternity.



Proverbs 11:25 “He who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.”







Followers



Support the Adventure

Please consider supporting my African Adventure! All donations are potentially tax deductible through the International Sports Federation (a 501c3 organization). You can either pay electronically through paypal, or you can SEND A CHECK to International Sports Federation, PO BOX 2788, Acworth, GA 30102. Make sure to put "Amanda Walton" on the memo line for general donations, or put specifically what the money is to be used for specific donations. (for example, "car maintenance" "food for orphanage" "most urgent need" etc)

Become a Day Sponsor

I am looking for 31 people who would be willing to become a day sponsor. This sponsorship is $20 per month. For a one time donation, click the button above, but for a monthly donation of $20, then click the "subscribe" button below.


Monthly Donors

Please choose an amount that you want contribute each month to support Amanda in Kenya.
DONATION OPTIONS

Join the Prayer Team

Thursday, July 1, 2010

All by myself... or am I?????


After being at Tumaini for only 2 days my American friends from Utah left to return to the US. It was such a blessings to have them at the Guest Home when I arrived. It made the transition so much easier. I must say though, when the matatu (van) with all the wazungu (white people) in it pulled away my heart did something I did not expect. I had a HUGE lump in my throat and, had I been alone, I would have cried hysterically. It was like watching everything familiar pull away from me and all that was left was the scary harsh reality of living in Kenya. Not just visiting for a while, but living. Day in day out, the good with the bad, the mosquitoes, the lizzards crawling on the walls, the people who may or may not understand me and why I would choose to come and live among them. I recall lamenting to God, now I am all by myself… No one “gets” me. Now what??? I love the Lord with all my heart and I am thankful that he chooses to speak into my life… even when I am WRONG!!!! He gently spoke to my heart and said, “my dear child, I brought you here, remember. I made a way for you and I will continue to do so because I am faithful. YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!” Hebrews 13:5 began to stir in my heart and with an unexplainable peace I could rest in the words, I will never leave you, never will I forsake you. Praise be to God!!! When I rise in the morning and I hear a language not my own, He is there. When I want to withdrawal to a place all my own, He is there. When I wake in the night to unfamiliar sounds of chanting, He is there. I am also thankful to the wonderful people I share a home with… I think it’s safe to say… I am not alone!!!

Rose: Rose is the Director of Tumaini and she is a wonderful Godly lady who seeks to do all things for the glory of God. Even though she is busy with many daily tasks, she takes time in the morning to have tea with me and we encourage each other with God’s Word. I am so thankful for her and all she does to take care of the children of Tumaini and her American daughter… Me 
Favorite Rose Moment: Rose laughing at me when I kept waving at people in the city and they kept coming to me. She finally said, you should not wave that way because it means come here! (I was wondering why people kept coming up to me and shaking my hand then just standing there. I thought they must have thought I was famous and wanted to shake my hand. Hahaha ) Now I know how to wave properly!!!!

Doreen: Doreen is one of Rose’s personal assistants and lives in the Guest Home with me. She is 18 years old and loves to cook, clean, wash clothes, and make fun of my poor Kiswahili skills. We have a good time in the kitchen and hanging out around the house.
Favorite Doreen Moment: One morning I came out of my room and my hair was fixed curly. She said that I looked smart, which means nice or good. So from now on I refer to people looking smart in a totally different light!

Roselyne: Roselyne is also one of Rose’s personal assistants and nanny. She is 22 years old. She also lives in the Guest House and helps take care of baby Sara Beth also known as Ble meaning Blessings! Roselyne loves to cook and clean and she also makes fun of my accent. She is always laughing and full of joy. She loves teaching me new things, especially how to prepare cabbage and chapatti. UMMM good!
Favorite Roselyne Moment: Making Chapati together, she is awesome and I am a mess!!!!!



Baby Sara Beth: Sara Beth is a handful and always gets what she wants. She loves eating meat or anything else for that matter. Yesterday she peed in my floor, splashed around in it and laughed. I had to laugh too! She is so smart and always makes her presence known. Don’t tell Rose but she’s the boss!
Favorite Sara Beth Moment: Rose bought her a new small chair to sit in and she would not get out of it. She was sitting outside and we were all admiring her when she posed with her legs crossed and propped up on the arm of the chair with her arms behind her head. I would have given anything to have a camera on me. TOO CUTE!


Moses: Moses is Rose’s son and he is 10 years old. He loves playing with my iPod, watching me do anything on the computer, and riding his bike. We like to play connect four and just hang out. He likes all things American and wants to come to the US some day.
Favorite Moses Moment: He loves to come up to me all the time and ask Teacher what is this. He also loves to eat my peanut butter!


Hesbon 1: Hesbon 1 lives in the kitchen beside the Guest Home. He loves to sing and play with the children. He works hard everyday to make sure everything is as it should be at the Children’s home. You name it, Hesbon can do it and he always gives 100%. Many see him as the spiritual leader of Tumaini.
Favorite Hesbon Moment: Singing “I Will Rise” together out in front of the house. He is trying to learn new songs to teach the children.


Hesbon 2: Also known as Uncle Sam. Hesbon lives in the kitchen as well and does all the bookkeeping at Tumaini. He also works hard around the house to make sure everything is in working order… like the solar panels and the generator.
Favorite Hesbon moment: We were watching the World Cup and I said, What is that loud humming noise in the background? He said one moment. He went to his room and got his Bubuzela (horn). He blew it at me and laughed. He also blew it at me loud and clear the night Ghana beat the US.



Dennis: Dennis is 23 years old and works at the office. Dennis also lives in the kitchen and he operates the m-pesa, which is kinda like a bank. He also loves football and playing with Sara Beth. Many times he brings us bread in the morning. I appreciate him very much.
Favorite Dennis Moment: I like to kid Dennis about making a washing table for the girls. He always laughs when I say it, but he still hasn’t started making the table  I couldn’t find Dennis when it was time for a photo. I’m sure he was hard at work doing something… maybe even making a table.

So now you see and I know for sure, I am not alone, but instead surrounded by lovely people who love the Lord, life, and love each other. I am glad they are so willing to let me become a part of their family!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dub, Thanks for the update. Got your mom's this morning too. Praise God for all that he is already doing--and this is just the beginning. You are loved and missed. And happy belated birthday!!

Sara Beth said...

I cannot wait to be added to this temporary house mate list. I loved reading about all of your new roommates! T minus 20 days!! I miss you, friend!

Post a Comment